Sunday, April 18, 2010

Why Craft?

*"This and That" Neckpiece  18" Kathleen Faulkner



I started out as a painter who majored in sculpture.  All my schooling got me a job on a little ferry in my town.  The frustration of being an artist working at a regular job finally came to a climax one day.  The local jeweler, who, at the time lived on Guemes, was coming home on the ferry and, without conscious intention, I approached her and said, "I think you need an apprentice."  Then she said, "Why yes I do.  Can you start Monday?"  That began my journey into the craft world.  My life as I knew it would never be the same.  
As I learned and worked with her, I came to the realization that this is what I was meant to do.  I like to make things.  It is a different process for me, unlike painting.  Painters tend to enter another state when painting, time evaporates and it can be a type of meditation.  Jewelry, on the other hand is a struggle and I have to work very hard at it.  I have to pay attention, I have to be precise.  Time passes but in a very different way.  I never lose track of time when making jewelry.  To me it feels very different.

I make jewelry because I can,  it makes me happy, it is fulfilling.  I paint for the very same reasons.  Different processes same result. 


                                           
                         "The Art is long, 
                           Life short, 
                          Opportunity fleeting ,
                          Experiment dangerous, 
                          Judgement difficult"

                                          from Hippocrates


*materials: sterling and fine silver, beads, river rocks, enamel, copper