Thursday, April 28, 2011

Variations on a theme

Variations on a Theme Neckpiece 18" fine and
sterling silver, beach rocks; Kathleen Faulkner





Silver is close to $50 an ounce, spot.  Spot is not the price I pay for silver. I buy sheet or wire so the refining fee brings the cost up toward $60.  This time last year spot was around $18.
This neckpiece is made from remnants and parts of other things.  I'm using up my bits and pieces hoping the price of silver will go down.

I'm focusing more on painting these days.  It is the medium I prefer and, at this rate, I may be priced out of the jewelry profession.  The good news about paintings is that, if materials get too expensive there are all kinds of things one can use to make marks.. charcoal, dirt, berries.. I even have a jar of dried octopus ink.  I've used it before and it is a beautiful sepia color.
We artist love our materials.  I've been stockpiling art supplies for years so it would take quite awhile to use it all up.

Change is a good thing.  I'm going with the flow.   We'll see where it all leads..