Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The favored one

'My Favorite Weed'  photo;  Kathleen Faulkner



I grow in her yard almost everywhere.  I guess that doesn't say much about the state of her yard:  I prefer poor soil, abandoned areas.

In her defense, she grows a fine garden of vegetables and flowers, she allows for wildlife habitat, there is even some grass in the back.  She could pull me out by the roots and that would probably be it.  I think she likes me, though.  Sometimes she comes over and rubs my leaves, she's taken many photos of me.  She lets me grow.  

I have some useful qualities, although I was brought over by the Puritans.
Dipped in tallow my flower stalk can be used as a torch.  Mullein stalks were used in ancient Greece as funeral torches.
I can cure leprosy and, if you have asthma, you can get relief by smoking my leaves. 
A tea made from me is good for catarrh or as a sedative.  

Maybe she keeps me around just in case.

Or maybe my leaves remind her of something 
or someone.