Tuesday, January 29, 2013

and now a word..

'Webster's New World Dictionary,
Aardvark to Azure' Necklace, 38"
paper ('a' words), sterling silver, ink,
colored pencil, mineral glass;
Kathleen Faulkner


Webster's New World Dictionary: my companion for many years.


One day I open the book and the spine splits apart.  I stand there with a piece in each hand.  I continue to use it this way for many months.  I think about replacing it but I wonder what to do with this 'two part' book.  No one will want it.  I can't throw it away or even throw it in the recycle.  That is not what one does with a book.

I'm thinking about all those words.  I'm preparing for the show 'Women Working Words'.  I decide to recycle in a manner that does not leave me guilt ridden.





3 comments:

judeberman said...

What a nifty idea! And beautifully executed. If you need more materials, my aged Webster's has been sitting on the shelf untouched for years, just collecting dust... with everything online, who needs it?

jeanrw said...

Love keeping up with your creativity, Kathleen! Always interesting and lovely!

Kari said...

Wow! What a great idea! I love it. Now I want to make one out of my old dictionaries! (I have several that are in the same shape as the one you're talking about -- and haven't know what to do with it!