Saturday, June 23, 2012

Summer fun

'Heading West' oil pastel;  Kathleen Faulkner

It rains and rains

but then I think about other places and it reminds me of how lucky we are.


Last night
the rain
spoke to me
slowly, saying, 
what joy
to come falling
out of the brisk cloud, 
to be happy again
in a new way
on the earth! 
That’s what it said
as it dropped, 
smelling of iron, 
and vanished
like a dream of the ocean
into the branches
and the grass below.
Then it was over.
The sky cleared.
I was standing
under a tree.
The tree was a tree
with happy leaves, 
and I was myself, 
and there were stars in the sky
that were also themselves
at the moment
at which moment
my right hand
was holding my left hand
which was holding the tree
which was filled with stars
and the soft rain –
imagine! imagine! 
the long and wondrous journeys
still to be ours.
Last Night the Rain Spoke to Me by Mary Oliver