Monday, March 21, 2011

Paper Trail

'Paper Trail' necklace, 60" magazine paper,
sterling silver,  elastic; Kathleen Faulkner


Paper beads became popular in Victorian times.  Women in England would get together and make   beads by rolling wallpaper on knitting needles. They would then string the beads on long pieces of yarn to use as room dividers.  

As a child I would make paper beads for bracelets and necklaces. When thinking about what I would do for this show, I remembered those paper beads I used to make and thought it would be fun to revisit. 

This necklace, as well as 'Message in a Bottle', will be part of 'Re-Art' at Smith & Vallee Gallery, in conjunction with the Re-Store. The show runs from April 2nd through April 30th.

This should be a great show.  I'm looking forward to it.