Sunday, March 7, 2010

Give a little bit

"Craft Island" oil and regular pastel, charcoal, gesso,  9x9" Kathleen Faulkner

There are two schools of thought in the art world:  keep your secrets and make it all a mystery or give it  away,  share.   

One day I was visiting Dana at the Edison Eye and Joel Brock stopped in.  His studio is in back and he invited me over.  "I want to show you something."  He said.  Little did I know that what he was about to share with me might just change my way of thinking about my materials.
He proceeded to demonstrate his technique, and then sent me home with supplies for practice.  He told me to come back when I had some pieces to show him in this new technique.  I haven't shown him yet.. but it's in the plan.

It's hard to feel generous during these uncertain times.  Who knows what's to happen.  You can't eat art. We're all just trying to stay alive and survival is a powerful force.  I think, though, that giving really does come back and, although that's not the point, it's a nice bonus.  

Thank you, Joel, for your generosity.